Product DescriptionA traditional draped garment found in women's’ highland dress. Typically consisting of two to four yards of tartan material wrapped around the waist and/or shoulders, with some left loose for covering the head. The Earasaid was typically pleated around the waist and held in place with a belt, just like a man's great kilt. Often it was also pinned by a brooch at the chest.
This utilitarian yet elegant garment came into being in the late 1500's and stayed relatively mainstream until the late 1740's. It emerged from the leine and brat (cloak) that was worn by highland women from the 1300's to 1500's. It was during the early 1500's that the feile mhor (great kilt) or feile breacan (belted plaid) began to emerge and gain popularity among Scottish men. This led to Scottish Highland women designing their own style of belted plaid ... the Earasaid.
ReviewsAdd Your Review
2 Item(s)per page
- Wife Loves LJ
Quality Price ValueThis was purchase for my wife, she loves it. just waiting to get a chance to wear it. (Posted on 4/24/2020)
- Great Product Jen
Quality Price ValueI love my earasaid. It is soft and comfortable to wear. As well as easy to put on and many styles to wear it . (Posted on 4/24/2020)
2 Item(s)per page
Write Your Own Review
You May Also Like:<
How to Wear an Earasaid:
1) Lay the material flat on the ground.
2) Starting length-wise, kneel at one end
3) Leaving about 9 inches flat on one side, begin pleating every 4”-6” for 2 -3.5 yards until about 9 inches remain on the far side.
4) Slide a belt under the material at what will be about waist height when you are lying down. Make sure it is perpendicular to the pleated area of the Earasaid. (Some do this as step one to avoid ruining the pleats.)
5) Lie down on your pleated and unbelted Earasaid with pleats parallel and vertical
6) Begin to wrap the material over your body by pulling the unpleated ends around your waist.
7) Fasten the belt
8) From this step on it is entirely optional on how to complete the wear of the garment.
A: It can be worn with the top half hanging freely at the waist.
B: It can be worn with the top half loosely tucked in at the belt.
C: It can be worn with the top half draped freely over the shoulders.
D: It can be worn with the top half pinned with a brooch at the chest.